An air conditioning drain pipe, also known as a condensate line or pump,
is a specific type of pipe that is used to pump the water that is produced in an
HVAC system. Considering the drain pipe is necessary in order for your air conditioning
to function properly, keeping it clean is important. Over time, the drain
pipe to become dirty and clogged, creating numerous issues in the process
and potentially affecting your home’s comfort. Fortunately, a little
routine cleaning can go a long way.
Do I Really Need to Clean the Drain Pipe?
In short, yes! Cleaning the drain pipe is extremely important. The drain
pipe plays an important role in the overall function of your HVAC system
because it removes water from the inside of the system. Without it, algae
and mold can grow inside and clog the drain, which can cause increased
humidity, musty smells and water damage inside of your home.
Cleaning a Drain Pipe In 6 Easy Steps
1. Power down. Start by turning off the power to the air conditioning system. This includes
both the power at the breaker and the thermostat.
2. Locate the condensate pan. Not all systems will have a condensate pan. Typically systems with an
indoor air handler will have a condensate pan in either the attic or a
3. Check for water. If you find water in the condensate pan, the drain line is likely clogged.
Use either a shop vacuum or rag to soak up the water.
4. Clear the clog. Try clearing the clog with the shop vacuum by placing it at the drain
opening, located outside.
5. Locate the access point. Most drain pipes have a T-shaped vent with a PVC cover. Locate and remove
the cover and inspect the area around the drain. Flush the drain with
vinegar or another simple cleaning solution and let it sit for at least
6. Flush with water. After 30 minutes, flush the drain pipe with water. Check that the water
is running freely, which will indicate if the clogged had been fixed.
Experiencing a Clog? Call the Professionals at Phoenix Air Conditioning
While you might be able to clean and unclog the drain pipe in your air
conditioning system, it’s always a good idea to rely on a professional.
At Phoenix Air Conditioning, we can clean and unclog the drain pipe in
your AC and get your home feeling as comfortable as possible. To learn
Palm Beach air conditioning, give us a call today or
schedule an appointment online.